Details from Metro’s annual report
Metro’s annual report goes into detail when it concerns the different country editions; all of those – except France – made a profit in 2010.
- Sweden: a 17% EBIT margin (8% in 2009) with Metrojobb.se becoming biggest recruitement site in the country. EBIT in 2010 €11.5 million.
- Denmark: 3% EBIT margin and a EBIT result of €749,000 – the company received €5 million in government distribution subsidies in 2010; without the subsidies, full year revenue decreased with 11%. Circulation increase planned for 2011.
- Netherlands: 15% EBIT with a EBIT of €3.6 million. Recruitment sales still slow.
- France: break-even in 2009 – 4% EBIT loss in 2010. Caused by launching new editions. Competition is still extremely high in France. Metro wants to become the biggest paper in Paris by increasing distribution.
- Russia (St. Petersburg): 29% EBIT margin: €2.9 million.
- Hungary: first profits in many years thanks to cost cuts. EBIT margin 2%.
- Hong Kong: 17% EBIT margin (€3.7 million), circulation will be increased.
- Chile: 13% EBIT margin.
- Mexico: 23% EBIT margin in first year that Metro has majority (72.5%) ownership.
- Of the associated companies Canada was particularly successful.