113 year old Malay Mail converted to free

MalayMail2009With a change of ownership of Malaysian newspaper The Malay Mail (launched in 1896), the paper was converted from a paid to a free model on Friday November 27.

The circulation of The Malay Mail will be 100,000. The paper is distributed in the afternoon.

According to Adiomagazine, media company Redberry, owned by businessmen Datuk Mohamed Al-Amin Abdul Majid and Datuk Siew Ka Wei bought a stake of 75% in Malay Mail Sdn Bhd. The remaining 25% is acquired by Datuk Ibrahim Mohamad Nor.

The paper has a debt of more than RM11 (€2.1m). Former owner was Media Prima, a company connected to the New Straits Times.

Redberry (weird website!) has the advertising rights for the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, major highways, Kuala Lumpur’s buses, and in supermarkets. This makes distribution of a free daily a logical step.

In Malaysia free daily theSun converted from a paid to a free paper in 2002.

(The news of this launch was the result of a Twitter search)

Comments are closed.